31 January 2014

Thirty-One Days in January

I'm nearing the scheduled end of this experiment and I can't help but be impressed with my unlikely dedication to it.  There's a certain comfort in the forced repetitive creative that I didn't anticipate.  I'm going to think about that some more before I write about it – meantime catch up on the project at the links below if you're new to the blog.


Wednesday – 01 January 2014



Day (1) art.  I hope the rest of this year isn't as chaotic as this little guy is.  If it is, so be it...I'm about to make 2014 my bitch regardless.     

Song of the Day: Blue Collar Man - Styx

Thursday – 02 January 2014



Local color.


Friday – 03 January 2014



This looks like a good drawing assignment, no?  

Song of the Day: Amie - Pure Prairie League

Saturday – 04 January 2014



Runaway meat train.  


Sunday – 05 January 2014



Slow Sunday morning.  

Song of the Day:  Sunday Train - Cracker

Monday – 06 January 2014



Random ATL: Sovereign


Tuesday – 07 January 2014



Windshield sunset.  It was barely seven degrees when I took Belle out for her morning constitutional – that's ridiculous in every possible way.  These evening colors don't suck though and that feels like an even trade to me.

Song of the Day: Open Road Song - Eve 6

Wednesday – 08 January 2014



Mediocre pic of today's untitled.

Song of the Day: Roses - Los Lonely Boys 

Thursday – 09 January 2014



In midtown tonight for a Paul Rand MODA exhibit.  Every time I see these sweeping retrospectives of uber-intelligent individuals in similar settings I feel like shit and realize that I've got ground to make up – how the hell can one person accomplish so much in such a short amount of actual time!?  It's irritating, what the hell have I been doing with my life, right?  An abbreviated postscript of lamb chops and bourbon at Shout and the commiserating drive home convinced me that I just haven't found the thread yet, my voice or whatever.  When I do, I will set the market...I'm sure of it.

Song of the Day: Gun - Uncle Tupelo

Friday – 10 January 2014



Cool morning fog. 


Saturday – 11 January 2014



Sometimes a puzzle, AM Gold and a deep red are all that's needed to make a Saturday night perfect


Sunday – 12 January 2014



Today I did this. 

Song of the Day:  Soak The Sin - Blind Melon

Monday – 13 January 2014



The view from this afternoon.

Song of the Day:  A Day At The Races - Jurassic 5 

Tuesday – 14 January 2014



These skeletal jewels have been absent from the ATL skyline far too long but they're coming back with a quickness (and a more vetted investment strategy I trust).  I don't trust it actually, but I dig it.  Best case scenario, this is what recovery looks like.

Song of the Day:  Officer - Slightly Stoopid 

Wednesday – 15 January 2014



At a site visit up in Adairsville this afternoon I realized that you can see the foothills of what I presume to be the Blue Ridge Mountains from the roof top.    

Song of the Day: Slave To The South - The Weeks   

Thursday – 16 January 2014




Random ATL: One Atlantic Center


Friday – 17 January 2014



Backdoor sunrise. 

Song of the Day: Red Rubber Ball - The Cyrkle 

Saturday – 18 January 2014



This is an unfortunate study in how not to accurately depict a skyline sunset on a small canvas and that is probably exactly why I love it so much.

Song of the Day: Mz. Hyde - Halestorm

Sunday – 19 January 2014



Belle's doing her part to mulch up all the neglected leaves in the backyard before spring comes and I have to rake them all away.  That's a good dog. 


Monday – 20 January 2014



Misty morning 'Hooch meditation.  


Tuesday – 21 January 2014



GDOT is replacing the Northridge bridge over 400 for some reason, much to my delight.  It really is astonishing how easily entertained I am. 


Wednesday – 22 January 2014



How wonderful this sunrise would have been if not for all of this nonsense crossing the morning sky.  It's still beautiful yes, but just south of epic – this is why I hate power lines.

Song of the Day: Someday - The Strokes

Thursday – 23 January 2014



Random ATL: Monarch Tower 

Song of the Day: Peace Sells - Megadeth

Friday – 24 January 2014



Another amazing January sunset.  I'm loving this winter sky.  


Saturday – 25 January 2014



My firm is active with The Drake House in Roswell.  It's an organization that sets out to help destitute single mothers get their feet back on the ground after a bad patch of life – it's a hand-up not a hand-out type of deal and I dig that.  Today a group of my coworkers and I built shelves inside of the storage building we'd previously donated to their cause.  In spite of the cold temps, it felt good to get my hands dirty again, to reconnect with my past as it were and to give back to the community in a small way.  With my karmic worth temporarily restored, I went home and watched a gang of Civil War documentaries, napped and listened to exorbitant amounts of Uncle Tupelo.  The what surely is the obvious conclusion to such a day is this little painting above.  I call it chickamauga.

Song of the Day: Box Of Rain - Grateful Dead

Sunday – 26 January 2014



Weatherman says it's going to snow next week.  If it sticks, we're screwed.  Even without any snow it has been a wicked cold January.


Monday – 27 January 2014



In Savannah tonight for a scheduled day-long tomorrow meeting.  I had acceptable crab cakes, learned a bit about geocaching across the street from this tourist trap and laughed a lot about not much.  It was a good day.


Tuesday – 28 January 2014



We cut the meeting short, caught the last SAV-ATL flight out this afternoon and I slipped into the neighborhood via secret passage just as epic chaos was happening all around.  I was lucky apparently.  My neighborhood seemed damn near idyllic when I got there and elsewhere babies were being born in freeway medians.  It's dumb how bad barely two inches of good snow is – families separated, motorists trapped, abandoned cars, (8+) hour commutes.  I'll stop short of adding my critical voice to the din but I will say this – we suck at winter Atlanta.  It looks like mañana is def a work-from-home day.  I suppose it's a good thing I stocked wine this weekend.

Song of the Day: Let Me Come Home - Limbeck

Wednesday – 29 January 2014



Snow-day. 

Song of the Day: Burritos - Sublime

Thursday – 30 January 2014


Belle had an unexpected extended sleepover with her moms this week thanks to the wonder of nature.  She finally came home today and immediately went searching for her ball in the backyard snow.  After much deliberate manic tracking, she located, attacked and went berserk with her beloved.  Man I've missed that crazy lady this week.  


Friday – 31 January 2014



A couple of weeks ago I googled bad-ass wine stoppers...today my bad-ass wine stopper arrived and came home with me.  Happy Friday!  

Song of the Day: Motivation - Sum 41

No comments:

Post a Comment