30 June 2013

Thirty Days in June


Catch up on this little project of mine at the links below if you're new to the blog.


Saturday – 01 June 2013


The first day of VAHI didn't go as planned. They say it's a Sunday festival, whatever that means.  We shall see.  

Song of the Day: Absolute Zero - Stone Sour 

Sunday – 02 June 2013



Day two wasn't any better than one.  I've never had a more disappointing unproductive show, but at least I got my work out there for a couple of days and made some new friends.  The best part of a festival shouldn't be the rain allowing me to load out early.  I'll get my groove back next time.

Song of the Day: Roll On - The Living End

Monday – 03 June 2013



The weekend rain brought the lilies back.

Song of the Day: Gotta Say - Izzy Stradlin

Tuesday – 04 June 2013


And the hydrangeas too!

Song of the Day: Alex Chilton - The Replacements

Wednesday – 05 June 2013


I was out in Marietta for a client meeting this morning – the Big Chicken is always good for a laugh, no?

Song of the Day: Army - Ben Folds Five

Thursday – 06 June 2013



I had a day trip to Jacksonville today and did not get the memo about Tropical Storm Andrea being in town.  She made both flights interesting.  Good day in spite of though – productive meeting, fresh seafood with a view across the St. Johns River and even saw a couple of manatees chillin' around the dock.

Song of the Day: I Ain't The One - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Friday – 07 June 2013



Maynard is feeling a lot better, but I don't think he is too happy about having to go back to the hospital next Wednesday.  You've been home (30) days little buddy!  (60) more and we are hopefully all clear.

Song of the Day: Nearly Lost You - Screaming Trees

Saturday – 08 June 2013



Today was the first lazy day I'd had in a while and I took full advantage (I even turned my phone off for most of it).  Pretending to fold laundry was as close to productivity as we came – it was a very good day!  

Song of the Day: Coming Back - Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes

Sunday – 09 June 2013



I got roped into helping a buddy move today but couldn't help but laugh at the irony of the streetlamp banner as the bottom of the sky literally came undone.  

Song of the Day: One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - George Thorogood 

Monday – 10 June 2013



I went back into the studio tonight for the first time in a while.  I didn't paint anything, but at least I opened the door.

Song of the Day:  Why Bother - Weezer

Tuesday – 11 June 2013



Decided to check out the local flora and fauna after an abbreviated site visit in suburban DC today.  Northern Virginia really is a beautiful place.  Fifteen minutes from our nation's capitol, deer meander along the muddy banks of the Potomac unconcerned.   

Song of the Day: Blood of the Lamb - Billy Bragg and Wilco

Wednesday – 12 June 2013



There's an incredible view of Garden City port on the Savannah River when you make that hard low right flying into SAV from ATL so I always make sure to book a seat on the starboard.  The peacefulness perceived from above however did not prepare me for the intolerable heat when we landed.  I don't know why or even how people live here this time of year.  Ridiculous.  In other news, Maynard received the good word from his cardiologist today – he's healthy enough to start the full treatments!  Wish I could have been there but know that he was in good hands.

Song of the Day: Coming Into Los Angeles - Arlo Guthrie

Thursday – 13 June 2013



Wonderful electric thunderstorm tonight followed by an incredible sunset.  I write about it here.  

Song of the Day: One Headlight - The Wallflowers

Friday – 14 June 2013


Tix to the next show!

Song of the Day: I'm Amazed - My Morning Jacket

Saturday – 15 June 2013



Making my rounds this morning, I saw this wonderful positive affirmation.  There's no telling how many times I've taken that left on Flat Shoals and I've never noticed it before.  I love my odd neighborhood.

Song of the Day: I Was Wrong - Social Distortion

Sunday – 16 June 2013



My Father's Day present from the pups.  I don't know who's more excited, me or Belle!

Song of the Day: My Back Pages - Roger McGuinn (and friends)

Monday – 17 June 2013



I knew the sky was a bit too ominous for a Monday and I found out why after I got home.  Maynard had another episode and is back in puppy ICU tonight.  Won't know anything until he sees the cardiologist in the morning and I of course won't be in town.  Fingers crossed for good news. There was a decent thunderstorm tonight though, so that's something.

Song of the Day: The Sky Is A Poisonous Garden - Concrete Blonde

Tuesday – 18 June 2013



Productive kick-off meeting in Charleston today.  The two hour delay on the return flight gave me a complimentary upgrade and this wonderful sunset view from 30,000 feet.  Still no definitive word from the docs on Maynard and it sucks.

Song of the Day: Surfing With The Alien - Joe Satriani

Wednesday – 19 June 2013



Hectic morning trying to squeeze a week's work into (4) hours before the flight.  I did get to see Maynard before I left though and he is going to be released today.  They're increasing his meds and are delaying the heart worm treatment in the short-term.  After an incredible steak dinner at Gibson's, I took a walk along the Chicago River to clear my head.   It is awesome to be back in Chicago – I have forgotten how much I love this town.  As a bonus, I watched a Blackhawks win with the locals in a local.  Outstanding.


Thursday – 20 June 2013



Perfect Chicago morning, middle, afternoon and evening.



Friday – 21 June 2013



I may never have been so happy to be back home after a time as I was tonight.  In spite of last night's shenanigans, I made a point  to wake up early and take a final walk around Chicago before I left town.  Having never seen  the sun rise across Lake Michigan or the pristine beauty of Michigan Avenue in morning light before, I was glad I made the effort.  My love affair with Chicago subsists unabated – full story and more here.   Back home just in time to see my Mississippi State Bulldogs close out a win against Oregon State to secure a place in the College World Series Finals followed shortly by epic nap time on the couch with the pups.  Long week, this one.

Song of the Day: Keep The Customer Satisfied - Simon & Garfunkel

Saturday – 22 June 2013



In spite of the fact that this dude digs up basically everything I put in the ground, I can't help but smile when I see him.  He's kind of a bad ass too.  When Belle barks and chases him up a tree, he barks back!  That's awesome.  He's a 'hood squirrel.

Song of the Day: Enemies - Shinedown 

Sunday – 23 June 2013



This morning I noticed these two Thrashers dancing around over by the honey suckle.  They are clearly on a Sunday morning lovers  walk in the park...this is another reason why birds should have hands, no?

Song of the Day: Earthquake - The Von Bondies 

Monday – 24 June 2013



Belle's ready to cheer on the Bulldog Baseball team!

Song of the Day: You're Going Down - Sick Puppies

Tuesday – 25 June 2013



All the wishing and hoping and unlikely prayer I could muster couldn't keep my Bulldogs alive tonight.  It was a good year.  I've loved watching these good kids experience this experience.  We've had a slow spot for a couple of years but I'm confident that MSU baseball is back.  As much as I'm disappointed in the outcome of the season and in spite of how much I hate college baseball right now, I can't wait for next year.  Time to regroup and rejoin the Braves bandwagon – we're apparently pretty good this year too.

Song of the Day: Can't Stand Losing - The Police

Wednesday – 26 June 2013



A little something new on the bathroom wall.  I like it.  I think I'm ready to get back in the studio.

Song of the Day: Bathroom Wall - Faster Pussycat

Thursday – 27 June 2013




Went to MODA with some work peeps and noticed this little peaceful jewel outside as we were leaving.  They have an Eero Saarinen exhibit right now that is worth the price of admission.  Plus-level bar food and libations at Tap after and getting caught in a perfect thunderstorm without an umbrella rounded out an above average day.  

Song of the Day: Get Down Moses - Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
  
Friday – 28 June 2013



Good sky.
Song of the Day: 
 Juice Man - StoneRider


Saturday – 29 June 2013



The legendary Bob Weir.  Excellent show.  My Morning Jacket and Wilco sandwiched between two giants.  It was cool to see Dylan but he's horrible live.  Saw some old friends, made some new ones.  Good times.

Song of the Day: Friend of the Devil - Grateful Dead

Sunday – 30 June 2013



This little guy is named Alton and he nearly came home with me today.  Puppies make everything better, no? 

Song of the Day: Last Nite - The Strokes


No comments:

Post a Comment