15 June 2013

That Wonderful After

It’s astonishing how quiet the city is during a power outage.  The freeway is still alive but everything else grinds to a slow steady numbness.  It’s as if we don’t really know how exactly to function normally without it – like our very existence is dependent upon Edison’s contraption.  In all reality, Thursday’s near city-wide blackout was a minor inconvenience and presented more of an opportunity than an obstacle.  As with all things, it’s simply a matter of perspective.

The storm was awesome.  Thousands of lightning sky dances and strikes.  Booming thunderclaps.  Wind. Temperature swings.  Weird colors.  Few natural events are as satisfying to me as a good strong summer storm.  I’m filled with near equal measure of excitement and wonderment at the power of nature as I am with consternation and anxiety as to whether or not the pines will hold.  I’m overflowing with anticipation when I know weather is approaching and relieved we made it through when it’s gone.  It’s wonderful.  I love it.  I can’t wait for the next one.  Belle doesn’t share my enthusiasm and enjoyed the show from the safe confines of the guest bathroom (behind the toilet).  Maynard, on the other hand was on the front porch riding it out with me – a man after my own heart.

When the storm passes and I’m sitting in the inevitable darkness a calm comes over me that I can’t quite explain.  Once I’m resolved to the fact that the lights will most likely be out for a while, I relax and let the quiet stillness all the way in.  I open the doors and let the damp night waft through.  A silent solitude is a rare experience and I find that I relish it when it happens.  Alas, too much time alone with dogs and thoughts will drive one to madness so after a modicum of time passes I’m compelled to go outside and wander up the street.

I love my neighborhood.  We don’t always talk but when weather happens we’re always in the street after a storm…folks just checking on one another.  It reminds me of growing up in Mississippi but with honest concern replacing seditious nosiness.  I checked on Miss Alice first and as per the norm she said she was just fine.  “I didn’t even know – I got my gun though!”  Poor thing hasn’t ever heard a word I’ve said to her.  I sat in the truck and listened to game four of the NBA finals with some guy who may or may not live down the block.  Nice enough fellow nevertheless.

It reminded me of the tornado in the spring of 2008.  For whatever reason, I hadn’t bought tickets to the SEC basketball tourney at the Georgia Dome but I was locked in to the television as my Bulldogs battled Alabama.  Irritated would be an understatement to describe my demeanor when the lights went out that night.  I was sitting in the truck when the twister hit the dome and play was suspended.  Knowing the storm was heading east I ran back to the house, warned the family and went to the back door just in time to see in a lightning flash, the funnel passing over Settle.  I rushed all of us to the basement and at the same time searched for batteries so I could hear the end of the game on the shop radio – I have priorities after all.

The first time I realized that I lived in a good neighborhood was after that storm.  Walking out of the basement to see the devastation all around was humbling to say the least, but it was comforting to know that my neighbors were there and willing to help if they could.  Luckily, I only lost a couple of trees and both fell away from the house that night.  If that wasn’t enough, my ‘Dawgs beat ‘Bama in OT.  We lost to UGA the next day and power was restored a week or so later but that hour or so after was wonderful

Thursday night’s frivolities weren’t near that magnitude – in storm quality or audience participation but it still felt just about right to me.  Past the excitement of the squall and the resultant peaceful quiet and the requisite reconnecting with the ‘hood; the most wonderful piece of after was as it always is, the color of the light.  It doesn’t seem like air can or should change color but it does.  Or that the sky can become so passive and emotive so quickly after erupting in violent spectacle moments before.  That magnificent dreamy glow paralyzes me.   That wonderful after makes the storm not only tolerable but welcome.  With every tempest comes the promise call of a clearing sky and the soothing response of cleansed spirit.  

I like to think that it’s God’s way of saying, “My bad, I got a little carried away with that one.”




No comments:

Post a Comment