25 June 2013

(21) Reasons College Baseball Sucks

  1. I work for a living – I don’t have (3) hours to spare (4) times a week.
  2. It’s nearly impossible to follow if you don’t live in the area.
  3. Routine ground balls to second.
  4. Big yards – what is college baseball without the threat of the homerun?
  5. Mike Patrick.
  6. The throw to first – you’re never going to get that guy.
  7. Good pitching.
  8. The new bats.
  9. Statistics don’t win games.
  10. Eric Filia.
  11. The constantly changing subjective nature of the strike zone.
  12. Sacrifice flies.
  13. The intentional / unintentional walk.
  14. The fact that I expect these 18-20 year old kids to be rock stars every trip out of the dugout.
  15. (51) wins is only good enough for second place.
  16. Bunting.
  17. It distracts me from making art or doing anything else creative or productive.
  18. Superstars don’t always show up.
  19. The hot team.
  20. My team lost.
  21. I’m going to be late for work tomorrow.
This is a very simple game.  You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.

I’m still proud to and will always represent Mississippi State University to the best of my ability.  We had one hell of a run this year, but just couldn’t get it done when we needed to the most.  That’s baseball.  And in spite of all the reasons I listed above, I still love it.  Tonight just wasn’t our night, so be it.  Like my grandpa always said, tomorrow will be a better day.  Tomorrow, I will still be a Bulldog – and that makes every day better.  Hail State!


No comments:

Post a Comment