07 June 2013

Art and Fear

I had a weekend last at the thing I love that fell light years short of my expectations.  Festivals are a crap shoot (at best), but this one was especially brutal – complete with near zero financial return, unrequested emotional stumbles down unresolved memory lanes and a Sunday rain-out fiasco of epic proportions as a finale.  So be it.  In spite of my perception however, I hung out with some first-rate humans, made a few dear new friends, enjoyed fine festival food, re-read a favorite book and didn’t do whatever nonsense it was that I did last weekend.  I even saw the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Brass Quintet Sunday morning, so there is a lot of positive tucked inside of the ball of shit that was my VAHI, but all I’ve been able to see to this point is the negative.  For whatever reason, in my mind, this was supposed to be the show – I didn’t sell a single piece on festival grounds.  It’s hard to see the good in a weekend where you don’t even make your booth fee.

The hundred feet square of my tent and a few feet in front of and in back – that’s my domain.  That’s where I shine.  That’s where I feel whole; my hallowed ground, right?  It’s the no bullshit zone that I can’t seem to locate consistently in my day-to-day.  It’s where I’m honest, where I truly pull back the curtain and let the curious inside this circus.  I protect those four walls and everything inside like it’s the Alamo and I’m Davy Freakin’ Crockett.  I’m Eddie Van Halen, Live Without a Net, I’m Social Distortion that glorious night at The Roxy, I’m The Beatles on the roof of Apple Records.  It’s the safest and most creative and inspiring circumstance that I’ve discovered in this world thus far but the gilded walls of my self-imagined cathedral came crumbling down last weekend.  In spite of my aspirations, I was Nero as my Rome burned.         

It was my first juried show and I was undoubtedly apprehensive of that fact.  There is a certain amount of truth to the assessment that I went into this deal with a chip on my shoulder.  Saturday morning late, a member of the jury remarked, as she jotted her thoughts on a clipboard, about how she loved the assault of color in my paintings.  At the time, I said some suck-up something like, “Life needs color, no?”  In hindsight what I should have said was, “You can leave now”.  Her intent may well have been harmless but it galled me to my very core.  If all you see is color then you aren’t seeing anything – you aren’t hearing a single word I’ve tried not to say.  Because it doesn’t fit into the polite little box that you’ve labeled art doesn’t mean that it doesn’t belong there or that it isn’t in fact art.  I felt like a retarded kid in a class full of prodigies.  In all honesty, I was devastated by her flippant comment but I blew it off.  Yes, I read way too much into it and it most likely was indeed a well intentioned compliment – she seemed like a nice enough lady – but my handling of that two minute exchange wrecked my confidence in the work for the balance of the weekend.  I emotionally and physically retreated to the safety of behind the curtain after that.  I didn’t defend my perimeter and as a result I was defeated, but why?  The only fossil of explanation that I can uncover is fear

I readily admit that not selling at this show was as embarrassing as anything I’ve ever experienced publicly and embodies my greatest fear prior to going public: that thought alone prevented me from putting brush or knife to canvas at all for a lot of time.  It doesn’t really matter that the only artist making bank last weekend was the old birdhouse couple from North Georgia.  Maybe it was just a weird crowd.  Maybe the threat of weather kept the buyers away.  Maybe it was simply a zombie walk and there’s nothing that I could have done about it.  Maybe a million different explanations exist but none of them have assuaged the sense of failure that I felt and still feel at some level.  The big question is though will I let fear preclude me from jumping into the ring again?  Hopefully it goes without saying that the answer to that question at this point in my life is a resounding “no!” 

I always knew this eventuality was a risk but for whatever reason I was willing and able to take the plunge, to fully put myself out there.  Going public wasn’t easy the first time and it never will be for me.  I’m physically sick and emotionally wrought with doubt and fear the days leading up to a show, absolutely sleepless the night before – nearly unrecognizable to myself by opening morning.  I don’t see that changing anytime soon so I can’t think that it’s a bad thing.  It’s just what is.

So now what?  I just keep being me, you know?  If you don’t like color, you’re never going to like what I do.  If you don’t want to see emotion, look elsewhere.  If you don’t want to observe the expressive possibility of a human being, then stay home.  Don’t play.  I’m not satisfied with the outcome of the last festival but I won’t let that prevent me from moving forward.  I won’t, I can’t let the fear of not being this thing or that terminate or in any way extinguish my desire to produce positive.  I won’t debate the merits of what art is, but I will continue to show you what I think it is.  And if you think art is something else, that’s fine but I can’t not be me.  The colors are only going to become more defined and vibrant.  The canvases are only going to get larger, the ideas more personal.  Whatever I decide to do next is exactly what I will do.  If what I do pisses you off, buckle up – it’s only going to get worse. 

I would love to experience the supposed validation that selling tons of work in public would give me and I have.  It’s surprisingly hollow, and if that’s all I want then I’ve forgotten why I started doing this in the first place over half a lifetime ago.  I make art for myself and I refuse to let my fear of it slow down the momentum I’m building.  I’ve lost sight of that truth and unfortunately replaced it with a false desire to sell.  If I never sell another piece, I’ve already won.

I’ve already won, because I didn’t and won’t allow myself to be satisfied.  Show me an artist who is content with his work and I will show you a dead man.  For that matter, show me a man who is satisfied with his life and I will show you the same.  If you don’t want more, regardless of how you define “more” then what is the point of living?  There is no imaginary line in the sand that once you cross all is well.  You have to keep pushing.  You have to keep digging.  You have to keep moving forward.  Ultimately, you have to allow yourself to change and adapt – things that don’t, fade away and are forgotten and then they die.           

As a prelude to the inevitable Sunday night meltdown, I enjoyed a conciliatory perfect steak and libations with some bros.  I thought about something an old friend had recently inadvertently reminded me of from my roots – something that I had forgotten to be aware of recently.  She’d been away from the South for a while and still recognized it when she returned – I’ve been here basically forever and have missed it almost every time it shows up, real world blinders or whatever.  She spoke freely but I’ll paraphrase.  There’s a soft “comforting orange light to the South” in the summer time, especially just before and right after a sun shower that I’ve never experienced anywhere else on earth.  If I can’t paint what that feels like, then I’m not an artist.  More importantly though, if I don’t allow myself to see and internalize what that feels like then I might not be alive at all.  If my innate fear of what you will perceive me as prevents me from seeing it, then I’m not only not an artist, but worse I’m a coward too. 

I know what art is, and I’m well aware that the singular responsibility of expressing it doesn’t reside within me alone.  I do feel compelled to express how I see it though.  How I see art and its unshakeable lover fear, are critical to my understanding of how I live life.  I see art in every movement of this planet, but I see fear on display more often.  I want art to win.

I can’t be afraid of that “orange light” or any other emotion.  You might not always like what I see, but I can’t unsee it and I can’t not feel it and I can’t not paint it.  My love of making it prevents me from being afraid of your perception of my art.  My love of art insists that I make more, and continue to suppress the fear of you hating it. 

Most days it’s the only thing I do that makes any sense to me. 

            …but it ain’t no contribution…
            to rely on an institution…
            to validate your chosen art
                        and to sanction your boredom
                                    and let you play out your part.
                                                       – Jim Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment