16 March 2013

Thirty-One Days in March (Part 1)

I’m sure you are all aware of Project 365 or some variant of by now.  The premise is to take a single photograph everyday for a year so as to gain a better insight into who you really are.  I’m guessing I don’t have the attention span to keep this self-indulgent nonsense up for even a month much less a whole year, but I’m going to try a month.  (This would be the side project I mentioned in the last blog.) It’s an interesting idea and I’m never one to shy away from a self-discovery proposition.  Plus, as observant as I like to think I am, I’m not sure what it is that I actually do see everyday.  I’ve certainly managed to somehow not see a whole helluva lot of what was right in front of my eyes at times.  Maybe I’ve only seen what I wanted to.  Maybe I haven't seen anything at all.  It’s hard to say at this point.  Not really sure what I hope to realize, if anything, by doing this but I think it's a worthwhile exercise.  Besides, I think I've come to rely on the written word far too heavily as of late.  Without further ado, thirty-one days in March:

Friday – 01 March 2013    


This is at the on-ramp to I-85 from MLK.  I see it every morning of every day of every week.  There’s a structured smoothness to it that soothes me before I jump into my day.

Saturday – 02 March 2013

  
Vickery Creek slips through the hollow behind my office silent most days.  Today it was rolling, as usual after a heavy rain.  I’m still not sure why I went into the office today.  This pic is about all I got out of it but that's okay I guess.

Sunday – 03 March 2013


There is nothing in this world that makes my sweet Belle happier than chasing that dirty old ball.  Today was cold but sunny in the afternoon, so we both got some much needed outside time.  She's dedicated and devoted to that thing in a way that I don't fully understand.  I think I could learn a thing or two from that dog.  

Monday – 04 March 2013



I snapped this pic between sets at The Tabernacle.  Dropkick Murphys were incredible and there was an epic pit (that I witnessed safely from the balcony!).  I've never seen a bad show here and tonight was no different.  Old Man Markley, the bluegrass punk opener deserves some more attention as well.  
Tuesday – 05 March 2013


Night (2) at The Tabernacle afforded me a glimpse into a couple of bands I wasn't overly familiar with: Between The Buried and Me and Coheed and Cambria.  I've been a casual Coheed fan for a while but have never seen them live.  It was awesome: angst, guitars, crowd surfing.  Well aware of my age and propensity to freak out in enclosed spaces I again witnessed this phenomenon safely from the balcony.  I left in a haze.  Today was my birthday but I've obsessed about that enough lately.

Wednesday – 06 March 2013


After the last two high-energy shows, I was exhausted.  Tristan Prettyman at Terminal West was (should have been) the perfect antidote to unfunk me.  Super-chill, intimate setting, great show.  In spite of all that I was all twisted up inside after.  Go figure.

Thursday – 07 March 2013




I took the rest of the week off after my birthday.  I made a bit of art, but I made more of a mess than anything.  Most of my time off thus far has been spent wondering why I've taken the time off in the first place as I wander around the city.  I happened upon the Krog Street tunnel today – what an exceptional piece of community art.  I took this awkward (at best) photo today and it doesn't begin to capture the feeling I have when I'm in this space.  The best part is that the art changes almost daily it seems. It's constantly evolving, but guerrilla art at it's finest is always on display at this Atlanta institution.  I forget sometimes how the random can inform my everyday.


Friday – 08 March 2013



The High Museum is my safe place.  If I'm off-center in anyway, nothing helps right my mental ship like spending a couple hours with my buddies on the 3rd floor; Katz, Richter, Rauschenberg, Rothko et al.  There is a great exhibition here now of Frida Khalo and Diego Rivera's work.  Not really my style, but theirs is a fascinating story and the extent of the work shown is huge.  I highly recommend a visit.  One programming note – Friday is apparently school field trip day so avoid at all costs. What's worse than a gallery filled with (300) raucous kids who don't understand and / or care about art?  Nothing.

Saturday – 09 March 2013





I love my neighborhood! There was a Living Walls event in the village today. Living Walls is an Atlanta-based non-profit that "seeks to promote, educate, and change perspectives toward public space in our communities via street art"...basically to give credence to the often frowned upon incredible beauty of graffiti. I've seen all the new pieces so today was honestly little more than an excuse to hang out with good friends, check out the new bar (and a few old ones), be irresponsible in the sunshine and forget about the night previous.  That's what Saturdays are for, right?  Not the best course of action as it turns out.


Sunday – 10 March 2013



Today was another stunning Chamber of Commerce day in the ATL.  Kinda off kilter for me, it sucked if I'm honest – best part, by far was the sweet tea, brisket and cornbread I had for lunch at Daddy D'z.

Monday – 11 March 2013




Before the rains this afternoon, I had lunch with this little guy.  The conversation stalled when his buddies showed up and the sandwich scraps ran out, but an enjoyable talk nonetheless.  The lesson here I think is to try to find the positive, sunshiney, beauty in every cloudy day.  Moments of clarity like these are fleeting and have too often only been tiny points of light in my dark cloud of cynicism.  At the end of the day I feel better than I have in weeks and the credit for that is not owed to this dumb goose.


Tuesday – 12 March 2013




After the rain yesterday, this was a welcomed, beautiful site this morning.  The state capital really is a stunning building in a perfect morning light.  I'm glad the light was perfect this morning and I'm glad I was there to see it; I'm not sure I've ever really noticed it before, but I think I will from now on.  

Wednesday – 13 March 2013



I was in Denver for a project site visit today.  Construction looks great.  Leaving the site this afternoon a flurry of activity caught my eye.  Prairie dogs!  There were prairie dog towns on every patch of open land everywhere I looked, like hundreds of little blonde Maynards running around the high desert (looking for strippers and cocaine).  It was glorious.  And a perfect distraction from my day.   

Thursday – 14 March 2013


I took this on my second day in Denver from the roof of the building I'm doing.  This pic doesn't capture the breathtaking natural beauty of the Rocky Mountains; you really have to see it.  I can't describe in words how being in the immense expanses of open space in this part of the country makes me feel.  The sky seems so much bigger and bluer. The sun shines brighter.  It's weird.  I like it.

Friday – 15 March 2013


Back at home.  Friday night.  Cold beverage.  Dogs at my feet.  Front porch.  Perfect sunset. Awesome.



I'm not sure that I'm embracing or even understand the true spirit of this endeavor.  But hey, I've made it this far so I don't see any reason to turn back now.  I will reserve my full judgement until I'm finished with the rest of the month, but I think maybe the takeaway will be to stop being a little bitch.  My life doesn't suck.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment