09 November 2013

Those Leaves

It seems like a long time ago now, but it wasn’t really that I bought this house.  Every fall since that summer though, I’ve told myself and anyone else who was listening that I was going to do some end of summer yard work – I’ve yet to follow through.  That fact couldn’t possibly be more inconsequential to what I’m about to write, but I had to start somewhere.

Once upon a long Spring ago after putting it off all Winter, I decided to rake the leaves in the back yard into long rows of piles.  Belle of course bounded right over their tops, but Maynard couldn’t quite clear the height, so he took the long way.  He was chasing Belle with all of his might in the only way that he could.  It was exhilarating and somewhat ridiculous to watch…I wish I had more than just my memory of it tonight.  As silly as it is, I remember being so proud of him for that.  Belle would take two big leaps and be at the fence waiting for her ball and Maynard would be five minutes behind after running the maze of leaves.  When he got there though, he’d give her a little nip at the heels just to let her know he hadn’t given up.  I don’t think she ever forgot that – I know I sure as hell never did.  I don’t think I understood the symbolic gravity of his actions then though. 

The autumn yard work didn’t get done today.  I guess I’m cool with that; Belle certainly had a good time so that's something.  I would have loved to have seen Maynard putting her in check, maybe just for old times’ sake.  Maybe that’s why my time in the back yard today didn’t produce any productivity.  Here’s something I haven’t told anyone ever.  Maynard and I had a lot of talks this summer about a bunch of different things.  At the end of nearly every one of those conversations, I would remind him about those rows of piled leaves come spring.  Even on a bad day, he’d wag his tail and let me know he remembered.  He wanted to get there too, you know?

I’m glad I didn’t rake those leaves now.  I didn’t even realistically contemplate it if I’m honest.  It once was an event that I shared with my dogs but it just seems liked a chore now.  That sucks.  What doesn’t suck is that I remember the look of accomplishment and breathless pride Maynard would have on his face after he had successfully navigated the leaf maze to track Belle down.  It’s a lesson in perseverance, right?  Even after he’s long gone, little man is still teaching me how to be a better man.  That’s a helluva thing.

I could wait ‘til Spring I guess, but Maynard wouldn’t know the difference, right?  Maybe next weekend, Belle and I will tackle those leaves.   

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment