13 April 2013

An Evening with Jay Farrar


Last night I was at Terminal West to see Son Volt.  Terminal, one of the best small venues in Atlanta, is an intimate space in a reclaimed steel foundry building and was perfect for this show.  I had never had the good fortune to be in the same town at the same time as this band before so not going was not an option.  If you’re not familiar with Son Volt you have an incredible musical void in your life.  If you care to fill it, read on.

Son Volt is the brain child of Jay Farrar and was formed in 1994 after the demise of Uncle TupeloUncle Tupelo, in my opinion is one of the most important bands in the last (30) years.  These mid-western kids drew inspiration from their environment, the country and rockabilly music they heard all around them, the punk and garage rock they loved and put it all together into a singular package – they effectively created a new genre of music that would come to be known as Alternative Country.  If you don’t know Jay, you might know the guy he co-founded Uncle Tupelo with, Jeff Tweedy.  Tweedy created Wilco after UT broke up and continues to make great music.  Of the two though, I pick Son Volt every time.  If you’re not familiar with anything I just said, I strongly suggest you do some homework – there is a wealth of wonderful music that came out of that mid-90s scene that is truly original.  Jayhawks, Golden Smog, Bottle Rockets, Robbie Fulks, Old 97s just to name a few.

The opening band Colonel Ford (the members of SV sans Farrar) was absolute Honky Tonk gold and set the table perfectly for what would follow. 

  
Having never seen Son Volt live I wasn’t sure what to expect and I have admittedly lost track of what they have been up to the last several years.  With the first chords I knew I was in for a treat.  When I heard Jay’s first vocal I was stunned.  It sounded even better live than recorded.  His voice is hard to describe – it’s a weird monotone but is at the same time extremely emotive.  I’ve always said and still believe that he could sing the phone book and I would love it. 

His stage presence is a little odd.  It’s almost apologetic.  I got the feeling watching him that he almost didn’t want to be there or at least he was uncomfortable in the spotlight.  He seems to be a reluctant artist; rarely spoke directly to the audience, hardly opened his eyes it seemed.  What he lacks in charisma is well overshadowed by the music though.  It’s not about him at all – he is simply the conduit through which this incredible music must flow to be heard.  He doesn’t really have a choice. 


As I watched the night unfold, I became at some point aware of the magnitude of this show for me.  It finally occurred to me that I was in the same room with the co-founder of Uncle Tupelo.  Not sure why I didn’t connect the dots prior to but when I did it became suddenly overwhelming and I felt even more obligated to be conscious of every detail.  (Yes, I’m well aware that I place too much importance on music, but that’s who I am.) 

The lyrical value of his music is staggering.  Every word is just as important as the next and they all combine to express an emotional profundity that I have rarely seen in other musicians.  The beauty of this is that it’s delivered very simply and understated, just like Farrar.  Also, just like Farrar there is as much or more depth in what is not said.  The stories in the songs are intensely personal, often dark but there is enough space in the structure of the lyrics to allow you to fill in the gaps with your own emotion, your own story.  That’s an incredibly complex way of writing but the results can’t be disputed.  His music holds up over time.  It doesn’t feel dated because there’s really nothing else like it to compare it to.

I sat down to write about the show but I don't think I have.  I don’t think I can.  Some things cannot be described in words: they can only be experienced.  That’s exactly what last night was.  To experience Windfall and Tear Stained Eye and Drown and all of the rest of these songs live was a rare and frankly unexpected gift that I will cherish for a long time.

Well done, Mr. Farrar, I was completely blown away.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment