17 September 2012

A Red Letter Day


Saturday last, I had the good fortune of spending the day among ‘my people’ as it were, hawking my wares at the East Atlanta Strut.  If you were there, you know that this year’s event was one of the biggest and best in its (15) year existence.  I’m proud of my bit-part in that play.

I’ve discussed at length in this blog the inner personal conflict of selling and the converse joy of making art but I don’t think that I’ve ever truly understood either before Saturday.  The barrier that had prevented me from allowing the outside world inside my art was a fully self-constructed insurmountable wall of fear.  There is a little paperback I read two or three times every year called Art and Fear that deals with this apparently universal phenomenon.  The authors wholly illuminate the incredible reward of clearing that obstacle but for years I’ve conveniently withheld comprehension of that detail so as to reinforce that which I thought to be true – that my work wasn’t good enough.  Or that it wouldn’t sell.  Or whatever myriad of excuses I’ve thrown out over the years.  It was just too big of a risk for me.  For whatever reason early this spring, I decided that if I didn’t take on that risk full-force now, I never probably would.  And if I didn’t, I would most likely always regret it.  In spite of myself, I sometimes tend to be a rational person and usually (occasionally) weigh risk versus reward.  I finally decided that the potential reward far outweighed the potential risk.

And so I sat Saturday before the firing squad…

…tick, tick, tick…inside my head, time was on a death march to nowhere.  Nothing sold. My worst doubts were rearing their ugly heads – self-actualizing my own fatalistic prophecy.  (I’m well aware of how ridiculous this must all sound, so feel free to scoff.)  The knowledge that I was publicly falling flat on my face was consuming me.  I left Black Joe in charge and went for a walk to clear my head, to regroup.  When I returned, I saw him fiddling with the cash box.  Really?  Really.  I sold my first piece of the day and I wasn’t even there to see it!   Regardless, when Joe told me what I’d missed, that oft defended impenetrable wall crumbled.  I relaxed. I began to enjoy the day.  There was nothing but upside from then on.

I sold one piece and then another and then two – I brought (28) to the show and came home with (20). In between I talked to a ton of awesome people about something that I love to do.  That for me was even more rewarding than the actual selling.  I’ll probably never be a “working” artist and I’m not sure I want to be.  The truth is Saturday could have been a complete anomaly, lightning in a bottle or whatever.  I may never sell another piece.  None of that matters because I’ve found something that is all mine, that is all real and that no one can take away.  I cannot explain in words how mesmerizing it is for me to have a conversation with someone who not only appreciates but genuinely likes what I do.  I’m astonished by it really.  I’m floored by the fact that someone is willing to part with their hard-earned dollars just to have a canvas I painted hang on their wall.  It’s as satisfying and humbling an experience as I have ever known and I’m even more motivated to continue down this path.  I’m even more convinced that what comes out of my studio adds value to the world.

That last line might have sounded arrogant.  I’ve been told that I write from a position of power, that my words are often taken as egotistical, that I’m superior somehow.  I accept that assessment as I do all criticism, but that’s not what this is.  On the back of my business card is a level suggestion that if you don’t look closely for you will miss.  It says “go make art”.  It is an acknowledgment that the paint and thought that I put on canvas is no more exceptional than the art that you or anyone else is capable of.  It is only art because I used my own two hands and the wonky brain inside my head to make it.  The fact that I chose to do it, makes it art.  Everyone on this earth is an artist if they choose to be.  That shared possibility makes my everyday a little brighter.  Art matters.  I’ve always been aware of that truth but I was reminded of it in a most profound way Saturday.

If you came down to my ‘hood this weekend and I was privileged enough to speak with you about this thing I do, please know that you left a mark.  I’m unable to fully express how uplifted and inspired you’ve made me feel.  It’s impossible to put into words the depth of my gratitude.  All of the above is yet another example of my typically overstated method of stating the obvious – 15 September was a long overdue red letter day for this old soul.  I now have a touch point in time to go to when the real world gets in my way.  Thank you.  Thank you for giving me that.

If you didn’t make it out, mark your calendars for 3 November.  I’ll be at Chomp and Stomp in Cabbagetown and we’ll chat then.


No comments:

Post a Comment