20 March 2012

Spring is 9,369…

…more reasons than ever to run outside.  Or the number of naps Maynard will take in the sun as I attempt to reclaim my backyard from a winter’s long neglect.  Or the number of times Belle will drop her ball in front of the lawnmower so I have to throw it.  And how many street festivals I will attend in the next (60) days.  The number of excuses I will make to leave the office early to squeeze in the full (18) holes before sundown.   The number of times I will suffer through a dipshit client’s disorganized meeting daydreaming of the weekend hike.  Today is the first day of spring! And there are at least 9,369 reasons I love Atlanta this time of year.  It is also the number of pollen particles per cubic meter of air today – the highest pollen count in Atlanta’s recorded history. 

A thick dull fog has descended over the city nearly choking out the sun.   You can see it billowing down the freeway, mindlessly dancing along the traffic wind…resting peacefully on the back of every sleeping dog or anything else that sits still for a minute or more…gleefully attacking the bronchial passages of the unfortunate.  I will be happy to cough and sneeze and curse it 9,369 more times until that first excellent rain rolls in and washes it all away.  It’s not really spring until that glorious first cleansing, when the dusty haze is erased and the city explodes once again into its perfect color. That’s when I know that the dark of winter is done.  You can almost literally see the blood pumping back into the heart of this town. Spring is nature’s dawn, right?  I will spare you the 9,369 other tired “spring is a rebirth…” clichés but rest assured they are all spinning wildly in my brain.  I can’t sit still.  I can’t concentrate.  I’m effectively useless, strangled by anticipation of the 9,369 outstanding memories I will soon make.

Or the 9,369 epic trips to Lowes to buy supplies for the 9,369 projects I will never finish.

The 9,369 ideas for new ink I will entertain but not get.

I designed (2) nearly complete building concepts in the span of (30) minutes today, put them into production and will not be able to sleep tonight for the 9,369 other ideas I have for 9,369 others.

Throughout the day, I weighed the pros and cons of no less than 9,369 paintings I should do, or stories I should write, and plays I would run if I were the coach, or lessons I would teach if I had kids and thoughts I would think if I had 9,369 seconds in every minute of every hour of all 9,369 days of every year if I were to live for 9,369 years after this.  It seems like that long since I’ve felt this creative.

There are 9,369 rituals attributed to the Vernal Equinox; virgin and animal sacrifice, Bacchanalian orgies, beheadings and other benign activity.  I’m not much of a Pagan so I celebrated the dying of the night by watering the dogwood I planted a couple of years ago in the front yard.  I sat there on the stoop and quietly enjoyed the first of the 9,369 PBR’s I will have on the exterior this season and, in my mind at least, watched her grow.   I thought about the shade this beauty will provide 9,369 days from today, how tall she will be and how long the shadow she will cast.  That little tree represents as close to “roots” as I have ever managed to put down in my life.  If I’m lucky enough to be here 9,369 days from today I will tell you a little more about it - if I'm not, spread my ashes at her feet. 

She’s a good tree…and there are 9,369 reasons why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment