22 October 2011

The 1st (10) Songs


I’ve always held a belief that music should simply occur in nature in much the same way that wind or rain or shine does. It should just happen. Music should just be. For me it has always been ever-present. I wish that the music that I hear in my head floated away on the air for everyone else. The logistics of this idealistic thought certainly are not worked out (yet). If free-air music were to be real, I feel no one is better qualified than I to program said music.

IF I were in charge of the non-existent Department of Free-Air Music for the Masses I would start with these songs.  No thought has been put into this list – these are the 1st (10) songs that appeared on my iPod on the way home tonight.  It’s a good start but doesn’t nearly begin to touch the beginning.  I fear (and have always felt) that nobody is listening to the right music except me…Fear not!  I’m here to help. 

Enjoy.

1.                   Dixieland – Steve Earle

Steve Earle has always been, for me at least, the absolute definition of an American patriot.  He’s not all red, white and blue all the time but you always know what he means to say.  He says exactly that.  That’s refreshing.

2.                   Roller-Skate Skinny – Old 97s

One of my favorites – the poppier side of the “alt-country” movement.  Rhett is an arrogant, slightly effeminate ass, but the music holds up still.  This song has always held a special place for me.  Awesome live as well.

3.                   Mr. Telephone Man – New Edition

Not especially proud of this, but here it is in my playlist.  If your mind is open, you know this is a good song (possibly doesn’t belong on the wind however!).

4.                   Sweet Little Sister – Skid Row

These guys put an edge on my ’89.  After Appetite for Destruction this was one of the best albums of the time.  Sebastian Bach was a complete tool (and as I learned on Celebrity Fit Club is still.)  He was cut from the same cloth as Ted Nugent though and that can’t be a bad thing.

5.                   Changes – 2Pac

Poet.  Gangster.  Lyrical genius.  This was the first Pac I paid any attention to.  It was eye-opening.  Have since gone through the whole catalogue and though I might not always agree with the message, he delivered it in a way that forced you to pay attention.  As punk as the Sex Pistols in my opinion.

6.                   Bullet with Butterfly Wings – Smashing Pumpkins

Billy Corgan is a creepy son of a bitch.  He nailed it with this song though.  I saw them once at Tad Smith Coliseum at Ole Miss.  He called out his own audience!  Called the crowd posers and asked them to leave if their favorite SP song was learned from MTV.  That’s bold, no?  They had not nearly “made it” at that point. 

7.                   Pineola – Lucinda Williams

I’ve been in love with this woman for years.  Incredible performer – have never seen a bad show.  As honest a musician as you could ever hope to find.  If all music was created with the same commitment that Lucinda creates music the world would be a better place.

8.                   Bell Bottom Blues – Eric Clapton

Wow.  No words needed. 

9.                   Requiem for a Dying Song – Flogging Molly

My friend Chuck turned me on to these guys a while back and I continue to be blown away.  Irish/Folk-Punk – what a freaking concept!  Amazing lyrics.  Energy.  Saw them in February at the Tabernacle and was floored.  Made me wish I was Irish.  Incredible band.

10.               Half the Way Valley – Sea Hags

Never heard of them have you?  This is who I freaking was in 1990. They were sold to me as the next Guns ‘n’ Roses and the music backed it up. Then the bass player died.  They would certainly be classified as “glam” but they were a balls-out rock ‘n’ roll band.  Only (1) studio album but I’m still listening (22) years later. 


Do with this what you will.

(If you didn't click the links, go back and do so now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment